DIO – Ministry of Defence Guard Service – Security Officer Shift Worker Job at Ministry of Defence – Edinburgh
+ substantial pension and benefits
MOD – Defence Infrastructure Organisation – Ministry of Defence Guard Service
Type of role
Full-time, Shift Working
Number of posts
Redford Barracks, EDINBURGH, EH13 0PP
About the job
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
Do you want to join the Governments Security team of the year, and be part of our Gold Standard security service?
Our uniformed Security Officers are a visual reassurance to our clients, the public and the authorities. As a Security Officer you will be responsible for protecting the security and safety of the site. You will ensure that assigned tasks are completed in a professional and timely manner and meet relevant MOD / MGS, and Establishments policies and processes. Our resilient Security Officers perform a multitude of tasks and duties, including site preservation and access control.
The MGS support our Security Officers within their role, by ensuring that they are supplied with suitable equipment to conduct the role as well as being inducted on each site accordingly. In the MGS, we hold core values of Honesty, Integrity, professionalism and efficiency. We use these values to drive a culture of continuous improvement.
We are looking for someone who is a great teammate with an enthusiastic demeanor possessing the ability to work on their own initiative when required. All our Security Officers have excellent customer service skills who are willing to go above and beyond to support the client and visitors. We are also looking for someone with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. It is also important that you are calm under pressure and have a flexible approach to suit the business needs.
See more about our Security Officer role on YouTube https://youtu.be/nzSK9OPOoDI
We employ approximately 4,900 staff from a very diverse range of professions, and we work across the world; in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, Norway, Poland, Kenya, Belize, Nepal and Oman.
You can view our YouTube video to see more about our work
The key duties of a Security Officer are as follows.
Please note that these duties can vary from site to site.
- Controlling vehicular and pedestrian access and exit to/from site
- Issue of passes using site IT systems
- Reporting of environmental issues
- Issue and receipt of keys
- Patrolling on foot
- Searching of vehicles, baggage, personnel, buildings and open areas
- Escorting visitors
- Traffic management
- Checking identity on site (ad hoc)
- Writing reports on breaches of security or defects and maintaining daily logs
- Referral of complaints
- Reporting MGS infrastructure defects
- Dealing with demonstrators and intruders as directed by those holding operational control
- Safeguarding classified information and material
- Cooperating with other security providers
- Collaborating with emergency services and invoking emergency procedures
- Operating and monitoring security systems; CCTV and alarms etc
- Operating and communicating effectively over the telephone and/or radio
- Reporting safety hazards and accidents in accordance with current instructions
- Carrying out, if required, initial action at the scene of any incident
- Other tasks commensurate with the grade
Where close area working arrangements are in place staff may be required to attend other sites within their travel to work area (one hour from their home) on a detached duty basis.
Essential Experience & Skills
- Experience in security provision or a high-pressure customer-service environment and a commitment to the highest standards.
Desirable Experience & Skills
- A background, qualification or interest in the delivery of site security and/or customer service will be an advantage.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
MGS applicants are required to attend a medical appointment to undertake a colour perception test
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Communicating and Influencing
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Managing a Quality Service
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people, they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
The MOD Discover My Benefits page lists the full set of benefits. Some of the many benefits you will receive include:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Free Uniform
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
DIO is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work. We host a diverse range of talent where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to thrive, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We are committed to be an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 Cs and we encourage you to be curious and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative in an inclusive culture, ambitious and resilient and committed to Defence, empowered and able to challenge so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
DIO commits to offer its employees the following experience:
- Meaningful, purposeful work
- The ability to learn and grow
- The right opportunities and resources
- To care about your wellbeing
- To feel valued and included
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is the estate expert for Defence, supporting the armed forces to enable military capability by planning, building, maintaining, and servicing infrastructure.
Our responsibilities include:
- Plan and deliver major capital projects and lifecycle refurbishment
- Provide utilities services
- Manage soft facilities management (i.e. cleaning and catering)
- Provide a safe place to train
- Allocate Service Families Accommodation
- Procure and manage routine maintenance and reactive repair
- Provide a central register of asset information to advise infrastructure planning
- Act as steward of the Defence estate
- Provide the unarmed guarding service
The Ministry of Defence Guard Service (MGS) is a professionally qualified body of Civil Servants who provide unarmed guarding services at over 100 MOD sites across Great Britain. The MGS has guarded the Defence Estate for over 25 years including high profile locations such as MOD Main Building in London and Her Majesty’s Naval Bases at Portsmouth, Devonport and the Clyde. The MGS plays a vital role supporting the Defence Mission and works closely with its security partners.
The MGS is part of the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and employs over 2,500 operational and support staff. The MGS is managed by a Head Office team, dispersed strategically around the country.
MGS officers are very often the first point of contact with the MOD for employees, visitors and contractors and we pride ourselves on a customer-focused culture, working to DIO’s Values as well as our own core values of honesty, integrity, professionalism and efficiency.
We are passionate about the services we deliver and work hard to keep pace with developments in the security industry, as we seek to be the unarmed guarding provider of choice. The MGS holds the Committed to Equality Gold Standard and we positively encourage applications from all under-represented communities.
48 hours (including a paid break per day) Shift work only, 12 hr Days and 12 hr Nights.
This is a shift working position. The successful candidate will be expected to work nights, weekends, bank holidays etc. The exact shift pattern will be explained in full during the interview.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
About the Company
Company: Ministry of Defence –
Company Location: Edinburgh